Exclamatory Adjectives :
This Adjective is also a part of speech. This adjective is used to show our emotions. So, it is used with a noun. We know that the word WHAT is an interrogative word. But at the same time, the same word WHAT can be used to express our strong emotions or our surprises. So, this type of adjective is used to express our strong emotions and surprises.
In addition to WHAT, HOW is also used to do the same function of expressing our emotions and surprises. So, both WHAT and HOW are coming under this category. When these words are used as exclamatory words, we have to use the exclamation mark (!) at the end of the sentence.
WHAT can be used in an exclamatory sense.
1. What fine books you have bought !
2. What nonsense this is !
3. What a piece of work is man ! (Shakespeare)
Few more sentences with this type of adjectives are ….
1. What a beautiful child!
2. What a scene!
3. What a foolishness!
4. What a big house you have!
5. What a wonderful explanation!
6. What brilliant boys!
7. What a surprise!
8. What a climax!
9. What a funny moment!
10. How strange things !
11. What a cute child she is!
12. What an intelligent professor you have!
You might have notices that in the above sentences, no verb has been used. We would not use a verb when we are surprised and when we really mean what we say. That is our nature.
For a singular noun, we have to follow this format. Here we use an article.
What + a / an + adjective + noun + !
1. What a short girl!
2. What an intelligent girl!
3. What a spacious room!
4. What a big factory!
For a plural noun, we have to follow this format. Here we do not use an article.
What + adjective + noun + !
1. What the scholar girls!
2. What the colorful flowers!
3. What the distant villages!
4. What the natural scenes!
For a plural noun in collection forms, we have to use this format.
What + collective noun + of + adjective + plural noun + !
1. What a group of beautiful girls!
2. What a bunch of colorful flowers!
3. What a collection of rare books!
4. What a band of musicians!
RELATED PAGES :
- The Adjective
- An Adjective
- Attribute Position of Adjective
- Predicative Position of Adjective
- Kinds of Adjectives
- Proper Adjectives
- Descriptive Adjectives
Quantitative Adjectives ( Adjectives of Quantity )
- Qualitative Adjectives ( Adjectives of Quality )
- Numeral Adjectives ( Adjectives of Number )
- Definite Numeral Adjectives
- Indefinite Numeral Adjectives
- Demonstrative Adjectives ( Demonstrative Adjective )
- Definite Demonstrative Adjectives
- Definite Demonstratives
- Indefinite Demonstrative Adjectives
- Indefinite Demonstratives
- Distributive Adjectives
- Interrogative Adjectives
- Possessive Adjectives
- Possessive Determiners
- First Person Possessive Adjectives
- Second Person Possessive Adjectives
- Third Person Possessive Adjectives
- Emphasizing Adjectives
- Coordinate Adjectives
- Paired Adjectives
- Cumulative Adjectives
- Non-Coordinate Adjectives
- Two Uses of Adjectives
- Attributive Use of Adjectives
- Predicative Use of Adjectives
- The Degrees of Comparison
- Comparison of Adjectives
- Latin Comparatives of Adjectives
- Irregular Comparisons of Adjectives
- Formation of Comparatives and Superlatives
- Formation of Comparative and Superlative
- Uses of Quantitative Adjectives
- Uses of Numeral Adjectives
- Definite Numeral Quantities
- Uses of Demonstrative Adjectives
- Uses of Distributive Phrases
- Uses of Distributive Adjectives
- Example Sentences with suitable Adjectives
- Uses of Degrees of Comparison of Adjectives
- Uses of Positive Degree of Comparison of Adjectives
- Uses of Comparative Degree of Comparison of Adjectives
- Uses of Superlative Degree of Comparison of Adjectives
- Use of The Comparative Degree
- OTHER after Positives and Comparatives
- Preferables in English Grammar
- Double Comparatives
- Double Superlatives
- Comparatives which have lost their force
- Latin Comparatives
- English Comparatives
- Adjectives used as Nouns
- Adjectives in Pairs
- Adjectives preceded by THE
- Position of Adjectives
- Adjectives Used Attributively
- Adjectives Used Predicatively
- The Adjective Clause
Exclamatory Adjectives :
Exclamatory Adjectives To HOME PAGE
The Sentences Index