Functions of Prepositional Phrase in A Sentence :
A Prepositional Phrase functions as an adjective and an adverb.
As an adjective, the prepositional phrase answers the question Which one?
The fruit in the basket is fresh.
The one in the basket
The kettle over the fire is whistling.
The one over the fire
The red dress, inside the almirah, was a gift.
The one inside the almirah
As an adverb, the prepositional phrase answers the questions How, When and Where?
Rata is hurt from yesterday’s cricket match.
How did Ravi get hurt?
From yesterday’s cricket match
Before the new session, we were asked to get new school uniforms.
When were we asked?
Before the new session
To sort out the issue, we called for a meeting at the auditorium.
Where was the meeting called?
At the auditorium
Few Sentences with Prepositional Phrases :
1. Jack arrived late at the bus stop.
2. In case of bad weather, we will postpone the trip to next week.
3. I saw a stranger standing in front of the gate.
4. Jessica took your bag to the market by mistake.
5. I can’t do anything at the moment.
6. Every diamond is perfect and most of them are cut beautifully.
7. The colour depends on the clarity' of the diamond.
8. People now wear diamond jewellery around their necks.
9. People now wear diamond jewellery on their wrists.
10. People now wear diamond jewellery on their fingers.
11. People now wear diamond jewellery in their ears.
Functions of Prepositional Phrase in A Sentence
Functions of Prepositional Phrase in A Sentence To HOME PAGE
The Sentences Index