How do adverbs modify the phrases? :
1. She was sitting close beside her.
2. At what hour is the sun right above us?
3. Have you read all through this novel?
4. He was dressed all in black.
5. I paid my debts down to the last paisa.
Note : The adverbs in the above sentences modify the phrases.
Adverb…..Phrase that is modified
All…..through this novel
Down…..to the last paisa
1. Probably, I am not correct.
2. Evidently, the figures furnished by the department are misleading.
3. Unfortunately, no minister was present in the Parliament during the question hour.
4. Luckily, I escaped unhurt, when the plane force-landed.
5. Possibly, it may be as you say.
In the above sentences, the adverbs modify the whole sentences. They do not modify any particular word in the sentence.
How do adverbs modify the phrases?
How do adverbs modify the phrases? To HOME PAGE
The Grammar Index