How to use the adverb HARDLY? :
1. Almost not
2. Only with difficulty (used often with can or could)
3. Almost nothing
4. Almost none
5. Only just
6. Not really
Hardly ever = almost never
1. 1 can hardly wait to hear the news.
2. I could hardly speak for years.
3. I hardly ever go out these days.
4. You have hardly eaten anything.
5. You have eaten hardly anything.
6. Hardly anyone likes him.
7. I hardly know the people I work with.
1. Only just
2. Almost not
3. Only a very short time before
4. Certainly not
1. She could scarcely control his laughter.
2. Financial matters were scarcely better managed.
3. A decade ago she was so poor that she scarcely had enough clothes for her family.
1. just enough
2. with nothing left over
1. We barely talked to each other.
2. They barely knew each other last year.
3. My parents have barely enough food for one month.
: (adverb) - usually followed by than
1. immediately after another thing
2. as soon as finished
1. He had no sooner arrived than he was arguing with his sister.
2. No sooner had they went out than it started raining.
Hardly, scarcely and barely are followed by when but no sooner is followed by than in sentences like these.
1. The game had hardly begun when it started raining.
2. The game had scarcely begun when it started raining.
3. The game had barely begun when it started raining.
4. The game had no sooner begun than it started raining.
: When the sentence begins with any of these words the word order is changed like this.
1. Hardly had the game begun when it started raining.
2. Scarcely had the game begun when it started raining.
3. Barely had the game begun when it started raining.
4. No sooner had the game begun than it started raining.
5. We have hardly any money left hardly.
6. We have scarcely any money left.
7. Scarcely had she arrived when he had to leave again.
8. Well. I could scarcely have gone in there while they were undressing.
9. We barely got wet at all.
10. The scar on her cheek is now barely noticeable.
How to use the adverb HARDLY?
How to use the adverb HARDLY? To HOME PAGE
The Grammar Index