Kinds of Conjunctions :
The conjunctions can be further classified into three types. They are….
1. Coordinating Conjunctions
2. Subordinating Conjunctions
3. Correlative Conjunctions
connect or join two or more sentences, main clauses, words into single unit.
1. You go to Delhi or to Mumbai.
2. My father enjoys eating rice, but hates eating wheat-products.
3. You had better come earlier than usual time, for it will rain.
In the above sentences, OR, BUT and FOR are Coordinating Conjunctions.
are the very important parts of complex sentences which include at least two clauses.
1. As she was getting ready to go to school, it started raining.
2. Since they were not prepared to go to the wedding, they came late.
In the above two sentences, AS and SINCE are Subordinating Conjunctions since these two words make the sentences complete.
are those conjunctions which are working in pairs to join phrases or words.
1. He is both intelligent and rich.
2. We will either go to the school or to the cinema.
3. They neither pay the fees nor go out of the college.
There are three sets of conjunctions. They are….
Since these conjunctions work in pairs, they are called Correlative Conjunctions.
1. Although she tried hard, she did not score high marks in this exam.
2. Since we were late, we did not get tickets.
3. As every one knows, he is a rich man.
4. Everyone knows that we are from Delhi and that he is from Mumbai.
Kinds of Conjunctions
Kinds of Conjunctions To HOME PAGE
The Grammar Index