This Tense is used to talk about an ongoing action of the past. An action, that continued for some time in past, are expressed in this tense. This tense is also called Past Progressive Tense.
Format of the sentences with this tense :
For singular nouns, use singular auxiliary verb (was)
For plural nouns, use plural auxiliary verbs (was and there)
Subject + was + Present Participle (Verb + ing) + an object (singular nouns)
Subject + were + Present Participle (Verb + ing) + an object (plural nouns)
1. He was writing a letter to you.
2. They were waiting for me.
3. He was drinking a coffee.
4. She was playing foot-ball.
5. It was running along the bank.
6. You were fooling yourself.
7. I was making biscuits.
8. Your teachers were coming towards you.
9. He was walking.
10. I was walking.
Negative Sentences with this tense :
The format of the Negative Sentences with this tense is….
Subject of the verb + appropriate auxiliary verb + not + verb+ing
1. He was not trying to break into your car.
2. This calculator was not working properly.
3. The children were not sleeping.
4. It was not raining then.
5. He was not leaving then. He would not be back after 5 pm that day.
6. The teacher was not dictating the notes.
7. His parents were not leaving to USA next Monday.
8. Their school was not opening next week.
9. My brother was not coming to India today.
10. My children were not growing quickly.
11. The climate in this town was not changing rapidly.
12. Your Knowledge of English was not improving.
Interrogative Sentences with this tense :
The format of the Interrogative Sentences with this tense is….
appropriate auxiliary verb + subject of the verb + verb+ing?
Was he trying to break into your car?
Was this calculator working properly?
Were the children sleeping?
Was it raining then?
Was he leaving then?
Was the teacher dictating the notes?
Were his parents leaving to USA next Monday?
Was their school opening next week?
Was my brother coming to India today?
Were my children growing quickly?
Was the climate in this town changing rapidly?
Were your parents staying with you or with your sister?