Synonyms and Antonyms Index
| Previous Page
Positions for Adjectives :
There are two main positions for adjectives
. They come before a noun.
This is a useful book.
They come after a verb like be, become, feel or seem.
This book is useful.
Most adjectives can be used in either position.
A few adjectives are normally used only after a verb.
1. She is alone.
2. He felt sorry for it.
A few adjectives like eastern, western, northern, southern, digital, indoor and outdoor are normally used only before a noun.
1. eastern area
2. southern parts
3. digital watches
4. indoor games
Order of Adjectives
When two or more adjectives come before a noun, they are usually put in the following order.
Opinion + size + age + shape + colour + origin + material + purpose
1. an interesting old man (opinion + age)
2. brown leather running shoes (colour + material + purpose)
3. a tall young American tourist (size + age + origin)
4. a small green plastic bag (size + colour + material)
5. a beautiful oval wooden dining table (opinion + shape + material + purpose)
Positions for Adjectives
Akbar and Birbal Stories
Positions for Adjectives To HOME PAGE