Quotation Marks :
Quotation marks normally come in pairs to set off a portion of text for a variety of
purposes. Paired single quotation marks are sometimes used as well.
Quotations marks in direct quotations :
When a person or work is quoted directly and word for word, the quotation is placed in quotation marks.
Quotations marks in indirect quotations :
An indirect quotation in which the substance but not exact wording is used does not take quotations marks.
For example :
Macbeth said, ‘All out yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death.’
(A direct quotation) (Correct)
Macbeth said that, “Their past actions lead fools to death.”
(Contains the substance, but not exact words. Quotation marks are not used.) (Incorrect)
Macbeth said that their past actions lead fools to death. (Collect)
Following are the sentences with the appropriate quotation marks.
1. Sneha said, “Sujata wants to play inside, not outside.”
2. “Have you seen the movie My Friend Ganesha?”
3. “Which store do you want to go to?” asked Seema.
4. “I don’t believe you,” he said, “you never tell the truth!”
5. “Where will you go?” she asked.
6. “Didn’t she say that your poetry assignment is due on Monday,” asked Jatin.
7. “Have you seen the movie Batman?”
8. “Finish your chores or forget your allowance,” his mother yelled.
9. “I have too much homework and don’t have time to finish my chores,” Smita responded.
10. “I wish I knew who my teacher was going to be for next year,” Tarun said.
11. “Do you realise how good those cookies smell?” Meeta remarked as she watched
Sunayna take the cookies out of the oven.
12. “You’re out,” yelled Samrat.
The following is an extract from Louisa May Alcott’s delightful novel, ‘Little
Women’. Punctuate the extract using the punctuation marks discussed above to
make complete sense.
Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents grumbled jo lying on the rug
its so dreadful to be poor sighed meg looking down at her old dress
i dont think its fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things and other girls nothing at
all added little amy with an injured sniff
weve got father and mother and each other said beth contentedly from her corner
the four young faces on which the firelight shone brightened at the cheerful words but
darkened again as jo said sadly we havent got father and shall not have him for a long dme she didnt say perhaps never but each silently added it thinking of father far away where the fighting was
Quotation Marks To HOME PAGE
The Sentences Index