The Auxiliary BE :
Be – verb - auxiliary verb
Is - present tense
was - past tense
Been - past participle
Being - present continuous
The verb BE is used to form the progressive tenses of verbs.
1. Don't disturb while I'm working.
2. She was reading when he called.
3. He is always causing trouble.
4. They are playing with their class-mates.
5. You are paying less attention to what your son does.
The verb BE is used to form the passive voice of verbs.
1. Smoking is prohibited.
2. I was told about it yesterday.
3. The house is being painted.
4. She has been invited to the party.
5. Drinking is a sin in this country.
6. The flames could be seen several miles away.
7. The police should have been informed of this.
8. If you had come, they would have paid the fees.
The verb BE is used to express an order or rule.
1. All prisoners are to be released immediately.
2. All prisoners must be released immediately.
3. Visitors are to leave when the bell rings.
4. We are to be married in June. [shows arrangement for the future]
5. He is more to be pitied than to be blamed. [shows what should happen]
6. The discovery was to have a major effect on the treatment of cancer. [shows what had to happen or did happen]
7. If I were to do that what would you say?
8. Were I to do that what would you say? [used in conditional sentences that show a
situation that doesn't or could not exist]
The verb BE shows that someone or something is the same as the subject.
1. January is the first month of the year.
2. We are not the owners of this house.
The verb BE shows position or time.
1. Where is he?
2. What is he?
3. The concert was last night.
The verb BE shows that someone or something belongs to a group or has a quality.
1. She is a doctor.
2. I am not ready.
3. It is as if we had never even started.
4. My sister is a Professor.
The verb BE is used after THERE to show that something exists.
1. There is a treasure in your venture.
2. There are many issues involved here.
BE - to exist
1. Whatever is is right.
2. If the baby is sleeping, let it be.
The Auxiliary BE
The Auxiliary BE To HOME PAGE
The Grammar Index