The Auxiliary Verbs are BE, HAVE, SHALL, WILL, MAY and DO.
1. BE = This verb is used as copula (= linking verb).
2. HAVE = This verb is used as perfect aspect.
3. SHALL = This verb is used as deontic modality.
4. WILL = This verb is used as deontic modality.
5. MAY = This verb is used as deontic modality.
6. DO = This verb is used to support / emphasis.
None but these six are rightly called Auxiliary…because none but these six are used for helping other Verbs to form those Tenses which cannot be formed by inflection.
1. BE and WAS
2. IS and WAS
3. ARE and WERE
4. HAVE and HAD
5. SHALL and SHOULD
6. WILL and WOULD
7. DO and DID
8. MAY and MIGHT
The various forms of the Verb BE are AM, IS, ARE, WAS, WERE, BEEN and BEING.
WAS is the past tense forms of the verb IS and AM. WERE is the past tense form of the
verb ARE. BEEN is the past participle form of the verb BE and BEING is the present
participle of BE.
This Verb is used in three different ways.
As an Intransitive Verb of Complete Predication in the sense of mere existence….
1. God is…(God exists.)
2. There are many men who…(Many men exist who….)
3. The people are here to reproduce their children. (The people exist…)
4. I am here to….(I exist….)
5. The animals were in the forest. (The animals existed in the forest.)
6. The boxes are in that shelf. (The boxes exist in that shelf.)
As an Intransitive Verb of Incomplete Predication…
1. A horse is a four-legged animal.
2. This coat was of many colours.
3. I am of his group.
4. You are a student of this school.
5. They are scholars of high degree.
6. My parents are not in Chennai.
7. The trucks and cars were sold off by my father a long time back.
As an Auxiliary Verb…
All the Tenses in Passive Verbs and all the Continuous Tenses in Active ones are formed by the help of the Verb TO BE.
1. I am loved.
2. He was loved by all.
3. I am working in the ice-factory.
4. He was working.
5. The students were not coming to the school regularly.
6. I am insulted by my college-mates.
7. She was walking along the road.
8. My friends are waiting for me neat the college.
9. Why are you standing here in the midnight?
10. Where is you book?
11. Your account is old one. You have to renew it by this month.