The Infinitive as The Complement :
It may be noted that the Infinitive works as a noun and at the same time functions as a verb. It serves as subject and object like a noun. It takes an object on its stride like a verb and also gets modified by an adverb. The Infinitive is a kind of noun with certain features of the verb, especially that of taking an object (when the verb is transitive) and adverbial qualifiers. In short the Infinitive can be termed as verb-noun.
The word TO is frequently used with the Infinitive, but is not an essential part or sign of it. The Infinitive is capable of surviving often without TO. The Infinitive verb has many different uses.
The infinitive with TO as the complement of an incomplete verb….
1. The most important thing in life is to keep healthy.
2. My wife is getting to be a beautiful woman.
3. The little hut seems to be the most comfortable one.
4. My greatest pleasure is to suffer for the humanity at large.
5. His habit is to find fault with anything and everything.
The Infinitive as The Complement
The Infinitive as The Complement To HOME PAGE
The Grammar Index