The Kinds of Adverbs : The Categories of Adverbs :
Adverbs fall into three categories or kinds.
(i) Simple Adverbs
(ii) Interrogative Adverbs
(iii) Relative Adverbs
1. I can hardly believe the news.
[HARDLY - Adverb of manner - simple Adverb]
2. Why have you come so late?
[WHY - Interrogative Adverb]
3. I do not remember the day when I was born.
[WHEN - Relative Adverb]
1. Simple Adverb modifies some word.
1. An Interrogative Adverb does two functions.
a) It modifies a word
b) It also introduces a question.
1. A Relative Adverb modifies some word and also refers back to some word - Antecedent.
The Kinds of Adverbs : The Categories of Adverbs
The Kinds of Adverb To HOME PAGE
The Grammar Index